My Blog

My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week 4 Consequences of Stress in Child Development Stages



Sexual Abuse Violence Against Children

I have a childhood friend who experience sexual abuse violence against her starting at the age of 6 until she was 15 years of age. This person was her mother's boss who was at her house on a regularly basis. This person was allow to spend time with her and the other children that reside in the home. I remember going over to her home to play  with her. This individual would love to spend time with the young children like her and myself. I actually thought this individual was a very cool person. As time past  I noticed a change in my friend behavioral she would act very strange when he would come around.  All of certain she never really wanted to play with me anymore and she would seem to be very sad. But back then no one really discuss with their 6 and 7 years child that their best friend was suffering with depression. Around the time I was turning thirteen I found out she tried to commit suicide. I recalled her family being so devastated about what happen because this person was someone they trust, and not only that this person was partially responsible for their financial stability. Also I remember feeling so worry about her and what made her want to take her own life. It was not until we became adults that she displayed what happen to her. In my opinion I feel that her sexual abuse have played a factor on all three domains (biosocial, cognitive, and psychosocial) of development. First and foremost this sexual abuse will affect how she interact and trust all the adults that play a role in her life. She probably had trouble with making the decisions on whether or not to trust any adults who is nice to her and sometime the gender/race of the individual  who abuse her. Next, she also experience issues  interacting with her peers because of the dramatic events that took place in her life.She may also experiences becoming very promiscuous at a early age thinking it's okay because of what happen to her.  I read this article of sexual abuse on children in Sub- Saharan Africa. It stated that, "in a study in a South African hospital of children under age 15 in whom a diagnosis of child abuse was considered, 45 percent of the children reported having been the target of sexual abuse. Thirty-one percent reported being physically abused, and sexual abuse was suspected but not confirmed in another 14 percent of the children. A study in Uganda revealed that 49 percent of sexually active primary school girls say they had been forced to have sexual intercourse. And about 40-47 percent of sexual assaults are perpetrated against girls age 15 or younger. Wow this really sadden me to know that this is happening to our babies and what can we do as a society to help prevent or stop crime against our young children.


Reference:

   http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications. Sexual Abuse and Violence in Sub-Saharan

3 comments:

  1. It makes me absolutely sick to hear about children being abused in any way, whether it be physically, verbally, or sexually. I have had to call CPS on parents before for neglect and physical abuse. It was very hard for me to do because although it was wrong, I felt that I didn't want to admit it was actually happening. Abuse can be so damaging to a child. It is hard to determine how they will grow up and turn out. Hopefully with love and care from another family member, a stranger, church, school, or anyone else who can help, the child will turn out okay and come out on top. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate to hear about sexual abuse even though it happens all over the world. Children are so innocent, and it is heartless of a person to take that away from the child. As adults we are hear to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yalanda, wow I see that sexual abuse and violence against children is more common then we would like to believe. That was a terrible thing that happened to your friend, a miss use of trust is something that affects a child in so many negative ways. I hope that the person who did that to her was punished for his crimes, along with the other perpetrators who are committing the terrible sex crimes against the girls in Africa, that was an interesting article.

    ReplyDelete